US judge dismisses indictment against Kilmar Abrego Garcia

More Business & Finance news · Trending news

Published 5/22/2026, 8:43:09 PM · Updated 5/22/2026, 11:26:07 PMBy TheBriefWire Editorial Team

US judge dismisses indictment against Kilmar Abrego Garcia

Key points

  • Judge says the human smuggling probe was reopened after the Salvadoran national filed his lawsuit against his deportation.
  • A United States judge has dismissed an indictment against Kilmar Abrego Garcia after finding that he would not have been prosecuted if he had not challenged his deportation.
  • On Friday, US District Judge Waverly Crenshaw said the Department of Justice only reopened its human smuggling probe stemming from a 2022 traffic stop after Salvadoran national Abrego Garcia filed his lawsuit.
  • “The court does not reach its conclusion lightly,” Crenshaw wrote.
  • “The objective evidence here shows that, absent Abrego’s successful lawsuit challenging his removal to El Salvador, the Government would not have brought this prosecution.” Last year, Abrego Garcia became a symbol for President Donald Trump’s drive to clamp down on illegal migration and was sent to a mega prison in El Salvador despite a prior court banning him from being returned there...

Published May 22, 2026.

Quick Summary

Judge says the human smuggling probe was reopened after the Salvadoran national filed his lawsuit against his deportation. A United States judge has dismissed an


📌 Source: Al Jazeera

BriefWire The BriefWire