Trump's White House ballroom project loses $1 billion funding bid as Senate Republicans revolt

More Business & Finance news · Trending news

Published 5/21/2026, 4:49:57 AM · Updated 5/21/2026, 1:18:15 PMBy TheBriefWire Editorial Team

Trump's White House ballroom project loses $1 billion funding bid as Senate Republicans revolt

Key points

  • US Senate Republicans have removed a contentious $1 billion Secret Service funding provision from an immigration enforcement bill after a parliamentary ruling and mounting internal dissent put the measure in jeopardy, dealing a significant setback to the White House's ambitions for its East Wing renovation project, Politico reported.
  • Senate Votes to Strip Ballroom Security Funding From Immigration Bill Republican senators confirmed Wednesday that the billion-dollar Secret Service allocation, which had been explicitly linked in draft legislation to the so-called East Wing Modernisation Project, would not survive the final cut of the party's filibuster-proof immigration enforcement package.
  • "We were told that the ballroom money is out," Senator John Kennedy of Louisiana told reporters following a closed-door Republican lunch, though he added he would "like to read the text" before drawing final conclusions.
  • Parliamentary Ruling Triggers Senate Republican Revolt Over Trump Ballroom Project The provision unravelled after a sequence of compounding setbacks....

Published May 21, 2026.


📌 Source: LiveMint

BriefWire The BriefWire