Published 5/21/2026, 12:17:11 PM · Updated 5/21/2026, 1:54:59 PMBy TheBriefWire Editorial Team
Key points
Three police personnel were injured after angry residents of a slum in Mumbai’s Bandra East area hurled stones at them as authorities razed an allegedly illegal mosque during an anti-encroachment drive on Wednesday (May 20, 2026), officials said.
At least ten persons were detained for stone-pelting, they said, adding that police resorted to lathi-charge to control the unruly mob, in which some local residents were also injured.
The Western Railway on Tuesday (May 19, 2026) launched a massive anti-encroachment drive in the Gareeb Nagar slum area, clearing several of the 500 illegal huts adjacent to the eastern side of Bandra railway station following the Bombay High Court's directions.
The authorities plan to clear 5,200 square metres of encroached railway land over five days.
Vineet Abhishek, chief Public Relations Officer (PRO) of Western Railway, said almost 60% of illegal structures have been removed so far.