Published 5/22/2026, 9:29:02 AM · Updated 5/22/2026, 10:30:04 AMBy TheBriefWire Editorial Team
Key points
The US president, Donald Trump, and the secretary of state, Marco Rubio, on Thursday again raised the spectre of military intervention in Cuba, a renewed threat that takes on greater weight a day after the administration announced criminal charges against Raúl Castro, the island’s former leader.
“Other presidents have looked at this for 50, 60 years, doing something,” Trump told reporters when asked about Cuba during an event in the Oval Office.
“And it looks like I’ll be the one that does it.
So I would be happy to do it.” Rubio told reporters separately that Cuba had been a national security threat for years because of its ties to US adversaries and that Trump was intent on addressing it.
Rubio, the son of Cuban immigrants who has long taken a hard line against the country’s socialist leadership, said the Trump administration wanted to resolve differences with Havana peacefully but...