WHO raises Ebola outbreak risk in Congo to very high for strain with no vaccine

More Business & Finance news · Trending news

Published 5/22/2026, 6:20:05 PM · Updated 5/22/2026, 7:00:20 PMBy TheBriefWire Editorial Team

WHO raises Ebola outbreak risk in Congo to very high for strain with no vaccine

Key points

  • The World Health Organisation has raised the risk of the Bundibugyo strain of Ebola turning into a national outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo to "very high".
  • The strain, for which there is no approved vaccine or treatment, was declared an emergency of international concern by the WHO on Sunday.
  • "We are now revising our risk assessment to very high at the national level, high at the regional level, and low at global level," WHO Chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus told reporters.
  • Read Full Story So far, 82 cases have been confirmed in Congo, with seven confirmed deaths, 177 suspected deaths and almost 750 suspected cases.
  • The situation in Uganda is stable, with two cases confirmed in people who travelled from the DRC, one of them fatal, Tedros said.

Published May 22, 2026.


📌 Source: India Today

BriefWire The BriefWire