‘Days Of Abuse Are Over’: Trump Administration As H-1B Applications Drop 38.5%

More India news · Trending news

Published 5/23/2026, 2:27:08 AM · Updated 5/23/2026, 8:58:12 AMBy TheBriefWire Editorial Team

‘Days Of Abuse Are Over’: Trump Administration As H-1B Applications Drop 38.5%

Key points

  • ‘Days Of Abuse Are Over’: Trump Administration As H-1B Applications Drop 38.5% Published By, Last Updated: May 23, 2026, 07:57 IST While some lawmakers continue to demand the complete scrapping of the H-1B programme, USCIS has not indicated any plans to end it.
  • Rapid Read (Representative Image) The Donald Trump administration on Thursday said H-1B visa applications saw a steep decline this year following major changes to the selection process for the work visa programme.
  • Describing the move as a crackdown on misuse, the administration asserted that “the days of abusing the programme with mass, low-wage registrations are over." Figures released by the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) showed that valid H-1B registrations for fiscal year 2027 dropped to 211,600 from 343,981 in fiscal year 2026, a decline of 38.5 per cent.
  • The H-1B visa programme, extensively used by Indian professionals seeking employment in the United States, has faced...

Published May 23, 2026.

Quick Summary

‘Days Of Abuse Are Over’: Trump Administration As H-1B Applications Drop 38.5% Published By, Last Updated: May 23, 2026, 07:57 IST While some lawmakers continue

Why It Matters

This development is important because it may impact public opinion, policy decisions, and future developments related to ‘Days Of Abuse Are Over’: Trump Administration As H-1B Appli.

Key Takeaways

  • ‘Days Of Abuse Are Over’: Trump Administration As H-1B Applications Drop 38.5% Published By, Last Updated: May 23, 2026, 07:57 IST While some lawmakers continue to demand the complete scrapping of the H-1B programme, USCIS has not indicated any plans to end it.
  • Rapid Read (Representative Image) The Donald Trump administration on Thursday said H-1B visa applications saw a steep decline this year following major changes to the selection process for the work visa programme.
  • Describing the move as a crackdown on misuse, the administration asserted that “the days of abusing the programme with mass, low-wage registrations are over." Figures released by the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) showed that valid H-1B registrations for fiscal year 2027 dropped to 211,600 from 343,981 in fiscal year 2026, a decline of 38.5 per cent.
  • The H-1B visa programme, extensively used by Indian professionals seeking employment in the United States, has faced increased scrutiny in recent years.
  • The White House had previously introduced tougher wage norms and increased application fees, saying the measures were aimed at preventing abuse of the system.

📌 Source: News18

BriefWire The BriefWire